Sunday, November 23, 2008

What a Bubble Birst

Here is where I admit my painfully slow progress on Don Quixote. I was very surprised when I found out that Don Quixote dies at the end of the novel for a few reasons. Probably the biggest reason the idea that he dies at the end never crossed my mind is because the idea that the hero dies never crosses my mind. I, even at age twenty, still habitate the fairy tale world of happy endings (or at least I wish I did). I am a self-proclaimed romantic, and in my ideal story the hero always lives. This romantic, idealistic view on life is probably what made me ao mad at Don Quixote during his last speech when he apparently "comes to his senses" realizes that silly novels about knights are not worth reading. Don Quixote doesn't come to his senses when he realizes this, he loses his senses. He loses the spirit that makes him a hero of such a classic novel. I identified with him more when he was a dreamer. That is when he had the most sense! Who cares if literature teaches us something?

The best literature will speak to our soul and spark a fire that inspires us to be something great. Don Quixote was inspired to become a knight errant. Don Q., in turn, has inspired me to remain a dreamer and to cast off perceptions that everything in life must have a practical purpose. Don Q. had it right the first time. The world is full of possibility and vitality. Without literature, we would forget that.

No comments: