Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The bar was set pretty high

To be completely honest, I came into class on Monday expecting to be a little bit bored listening to presentations for the entire class period. After having experiencedeveryone's presentations on their critics, I should have known better. Every presentation was different, and furthermore every presentation was fascinating! It amazed me to realize how many different directions one assignment can go in if given to an intelligent person. I obviously know about the connection between literature and culture, but Doug took it to another level. Jessica and Kelsey both took the idea of the love of literature beyond just books and poems into the realm of movies and song lyrics, which can serve just as important a purpose in literature. I completely agree with Lisa that literature takes us everywhere in the world and beyond, an idea I actually plan to touch on in my own apology. I also agree with Kyle's affinity for touchstones. Heather cracked me up with the idea that people offended by literature have only offended the literature itself. Willing suspension of disbelief, one of Claire's topics, is something that I believe sets literary-minded people apart from the more practical literal minds surrounding us, and willing suspension of disbelief allows us to catapult ourselves into any world we wish. How lucky are we? And what a perfect finish, a presentation completely based on the lovable Don Quixote by Carly. All in all, I was very entertained and enlightened (as well as even more nervous for my presentation) by the speeches on Monday.

No comments: